Popcorn is a great snack to have if you are watching what you eat. Buying the popcorn that comes in a bag is fine, but air popping it from the plain kernels removes all of the extra fat and chemicals that can come with the fake butter and other flavorings. Plus, its way cheaper to buy a big bag of the kernels than the individual popping bags. If you don’t have an air popper, never fear. There is a very simple way to achieve this in a microwave.
All you are going to need is a microwavable bowl, a microwavable plate, and the un popped kernels.
1. Take the kernels and place them in the microwavable bowl.
2. Place the microwavable plate on top of the bowl so the kernels don’t pop out of the bowl and place in the microwave.
3. For the amount of popcorn I showed in the picture, I microwaved for 3 minutes 30 seconds to start. This method tends to take a little longer in the microwave than the regular popcorn in a bag. Without the extra oils, the popcorn is not going to burn as fast as the bag popcorn so don’t be afraid to add the extra time.
4. Empty your bowl of the popped kernels, and place the remaining un popped ones back in the microwave for another 1 minute.
5. DO NOT GRAB THE BOWL/PLATE OUT OF THE MICROWAVE WITHOUT AN OVEN MITT. You will burn the ever loving shit out of your hand
That’s all it takes! To add flavorings to the hot popcorn, I just spray them with some water or PAM and sprinkle with salt or spices such as cinnamon, paprika, taco seasoning, or the popcorn flavorings you can buy in the store.
Let me know how this works for you in the comments below!