Everyone has those foods we can’t go a week without. Those ingredients that always make it back on our lists of things we need to pick up at the store on a monthly (if not weekly) basis. Although I don’t have as much space in my dorm for a ton of ingredients and food, I always have the basics. If I need something extra, I can go out and get the smallest container available so that it doesn’t go bad waiting to be used again. Here is my grocery list of must haves that get me through my week of tests, homework, classes, work, and late nights.
• Flour: I only have white and whole wheat typically. One day I will have room for more but until then…
• Spices: Spices are a super easy way to take a dish to the next level for no extra calories or added salt. One day when I have a garden I will be able to go out and pick fresh herbs for my food but until then, I will settle for dry spices. I always have some cinnamon, onion powder, garlic salt, basil, and apple pie spice on hand. (Apple pie spice is one container that has a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. I’m too cheap to buy all three separate.)
• Brown/White sugar
• Eggs: I don’t always substitute them in my recipes plus who doesn’t love them sunny side up?
• Baking soda/Baking powder
• Vanilla extract
• Milk: Again, I only have room for my skim and almond milk
• Nuts: All kinds of nuts! I am not really a potato chip person so these are some of my snacks of choice
• Fruit: My New Year’s resolution for 2014 was to cut out desserts 6 of the 7 days a week. If you guys knew me in person, you would know how much chocolate and candy I can throw back. It was getting a little disgusting, so Wednesdays are my designated one day a week I get to eat as much dessert as I want. (Giving up 100% is just not realistic for me, nor would I want to try). For the remainder of the week, I have fruit to take the place of my beloved Ghirardelli. Pomegranates, kiwi, blackberries/raspberries, granny smith apples, and peaches are some of my favorites.
• Whole wheat bread
• Peanut butter
• Applesauce: I always go ahead and get the regular sweetened applesauce. That way I can eat it plain for a breakfast and use it when I’m baking.
• Greek Yogurt
• Sugar snap peas: I have loved these since I was a kid and my dad would grow them every summer. Some of my favorite memories as a child are helping my dad in his garden and then making meals with my mom out of the fruits and vegetables I helped him grow. They have a great crunch and a hint of sweetness that are perfect for me to mindlessly snack on without the guilt.
Although I would love to have a ton of Pop Tarts, crackers, soda, and all other kinds of junk food, it is much easier to resist what isn’t there. Plus, we college students have the extra challenge of always being only a few feet away from our pantry at any given time. It is all too tempting to decide that you are hungry and grab a bag of pretzels that was only an arm’s length away and go to town.
What are your constant foods that are a must have in your dorm/house? Leave a comment below and let me know, or if you have any questions!